This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I am ALWAYS sketching architecture

Whether it is out on location....
111105 JMWedding 02 Outside church
St Matthews Manly from my cousins wedding on Saturday
111928 Luna Park- Just for fun
111928 I ended up drawing the Opera House anyway!
An hour at Milsons Point ...having fun sketching the Luna Park gates and then a very quick opera house sketch witn my new 3.8mm pilot parallel calligraphy pen (I never get sick of sketching this buidling!)

..... Or just some relaxation sketching after dinner.Trying different techniques and pen/colours....

111027 My usual Barouqe sketching therapy

111027 Basket Case Baroque

111026 Borromini in Pilot Parallel

111102 A little bit of Corb

.... Or a doodle at work
Italian work doodle
(from my Italian desktop calendar) while waiting for something to print
This is an example of my standard work sketching style - my bread and butter sketching that I have been doing for 20 years done with an Artline 0.4 black felt pen. Before I discovered watercolour I was totally addicted to cross hatching- it is the way that I think when designing – and it wasn’t until I started drawing my food that I started to restrain myself...now I hardly ever use it.


It doesn’t matter what you sketch as long as you keep sketching. Whilst I much prefer being outside sketching, I find it very useful to be constantly sketching and experimenting from photos in training for on location sketching.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying following your new 'trip' into architectural sketching.
    I am motivated to write this comment to say the entrance to the amusement park-in particular-is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin