This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Boring Buildings... Fun Colours


After my recent time in Barcelona and London (2 cities containing many examples of architecture that I adore) I find it is easy to become uninspired by the average stock of buildings in everyday life… but colour and especially watercolour can make anything fun! So I am determined to make interesting sketches from boring buildings!

Today three constraints (apart from the boringness of the buildings)
1.  the pen I was using is new (a sailor pen that enables variable lines ) and I don't have a feel for it yet and isn't flowing properly
2. sitting in a waiting room without any idea of time… so I just start and like the page evolve - ready at any stage to stop
3. I only had 3 watercolour pencils in my bag of very limited relevance to the subject matter (but at least a light, mid and dark tone)

I then added some splashes of wet watercolour on top when I got back to the car… without much consideration of what 3 colours… but I wanted to keep with a limited palette.

One of the things I like about sketching architecture is that you do anything with the colour! (I suppose you can do this with any subject... but as the buildings natural colour is normally fairly dull it is more a radical artistic license!)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are putting the Sailor pen to the test, Liz!! Try the Platinum Carbon black ink - it's waterproof. I think it doesn't dry as much as the noodlers, and I find it flows really well. I have put it in two fountain pens, including the other Sailor pen I bought, and so far I really like it. It does dry a bit differently to the noodlers, so you might be surprised on the first use, but I am now really quite happy with it.
    Issy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to like smooth paper better... I haven't got any platnium carbon ink - on my to try list! thanks again! I love the pen!!!!!

      Delete

LinkWithin