This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Flinders Street Station, Melbourne


In Melbourne preparing for my Sketching Architecture workshop at Melbourne University which is on tomorrow!

I spent the day casing the joint and preparing sunny and wet weather options – I have a number of specific exercises that are best if I plan a good subject for each. That is done and I can start getting excited now! On the way back to my Melbourne ‘home’ I just had to stop and sketch my favourite building. Oh! I was having so so much fun doing this... This was just for me.


Here is a extra photo showing how I was staging my paint. I normally work more or less from light to dark but this time as the building is mainly yellow I wanted to do all the non yellow bits so that I could splash away with the yellow. Also I found today that my paint wasn’t drying (freezing here today!) so I painted the dark green mullions and window frames early giving them more time to dry.

Hoping that the isolated showers forecast doesn’t make it to the uni tomorrow ...but regardless I have a plan and we will have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin